Wednesday, October 28, 2009

New!

Sorry I haven't updated the blog in a while. I have been very tired/busy. Hmm not so much has happened since I got the line put in. I no longer have to have blood tests because they can draw blood from my line which is a plus. The site and the line itself however, are still very sore. I have to be extremely careful with it, I am not even allowed a bath with it because it literally is a tube into my heart vein.

I am currently on leave from the hospital until Friday. Thats when I get my next dose of chemo. Chemo is pretty brutal stuff, at the moment I am just starting to experience the serious side effects of it. Your appetite changes, you want to vomit all the time, you constantly feel like you have the flu. An example would be today when I was at the supermarket. I have to go on a special diet for the next couple of months to lower the risk of me getting an infection via food. This means no eggs, hard cheeses and fresh greens. Everything has to be piping hot and cooked. On top of this the huge appetite and taste bud changes that come with the chemo treatment make it really hard for me to actually eat relatively healthily. Anyway, I was at the supermarket in the lolly isle choosing some lollies. I was picking out some sour ones and saw those little marshmallow mushrooms lollies. I nearly spewed in my mouth. If I didn't hold it down I would've vomited all down the isle. This is how extreme and rapid the food thing is with chemo, literally one moment you're wanting some specific food then 5 minutes later even the thought of food makes you get that stomach bile taste.

Oh on a completely different note, one of my pet female turtles laid an egg. We were cleaning out the tank and we put all three turtles (one male and two female) in a washing basket while we refilled the tank. When we went to put them back in we saw that one had laid an egg! I rang up the pet shop and got instructions as to what to do. I made a little bed for the egg out of an ice cream container, cotton wool and tissues. I went back to get the egg and found one of the other turtles had eaten it!!!!!!!! I was a bit disappointed but oh well, maybe I will get another some other time.

If you would like to visit me, you should try do so before Friday. I am starting to get quite ill and I will be getting more chemo soon. Next week you will also need to be more careful if you're feeling at all unwell. My white cell count is going to fall quite rapidly and if you carry bacteria from a normal cold into my house I could be hospitalized. So just be aware, you have to be healthy to see me.

My hair has started to thin a bit (I think?) so that should be due to fall out soon.

I have best be off to bed now, its 1:32 am and I have a nurse coming tomorrow to flush my hickman line and take bloods in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya Alex
    Been thinking about you but have not come to see you because I am on anti-biotics for a chest infection - did not think you would want to share this! Keep on keeping on - you are an inspiration to many. Shit happens, we show strength of character by how we deal with it and you are doing so admirably - especially by been honest about it. Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete