Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sore

I had the lumbar puncture yesterday. I will tell you a little bit more about this. When I get chemo it travels all around the body, killing cells. The only place it can't get to is the spinal fluid. So what they do is... extract some of my spinal fluid and put the same amount of chemo into my spine so the chemo cells can travel around there and do their stuff.
Anyway, I had this yesterday and was really nervous. This is what happened:
The nurses came in with the Doc that was going to give the injection. I was told to roll on my side and adopt the foetal position so he could feel my spine. He then drew all over my back with a sharpie to mark out where he was going to go and got a house surgeon to double check it all. I was told to lay dead still from now on so the needle would go in the right place. The local anasthetic was injected in, then he kept prodding me and asking if I could feel it. I said yes even though I couldn't just so I could get some extra numbing stuff. Then he shoved the needle into my spine, took out some fluid and put the same amount of chemo back in. It took altogether about 15 minutes. I had to stay perfectly flat on my back from 6 hours after that though in case some spinal fluid leaked.

Tomorrow I have my first proper operation. It is called a Hickman line and its a permanant tube sticking out of my chest. This is how I will receive most of my medication I need and bloods can be taken from it etc. The surgeon doesn't want to put me to sleep for this though so I will actually be watching the scalpel cutting into my chest and shit. When I get this line in, it will make me look like a more legit cancer patient. You really need to look after it though. The dressing on it will have to be changed constantly and it cannot come into contact with water (no swimming, beach, bath, pool etc.). Also, because its literally coming out of a hole in my chest it is very very painful so I won't let anyone touch me for a while. The hickman is meant to stay in the majority of the time I am on treatment (2 years) so I am not looking forward to it at all. I'm considering not ever posting pictures of this one because its simply too much even for me to handle, you semi become a true cancer cripple you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment